Delta 8 THC has been branded the new legal weed, but how exactly does it work? Can you buy delta 8 THC flower the same way you purchase cannabis or hemp flower? Is Delta 8 only available as an extract? What kinds of delta 8 products are available? Keep reading to learn about all the different ways you can consume delta 8 THC.
What Is Delta 8 THC
Those who have any familiarity with the cannabis plant have likely heard of THC—the intoxicating cannabinoid responsible for producing the infamous high we associate with marijuana. When people in the cannabis industry talk about THC, nine times out of ten they’re referring specifically to your garden variety delta 9 THC. The nine in delta 9 refers to the placement of a double bond on the ninth carbon in the compound’s carbon chain.
On a molecular level, delta 8 is almost identical to delta 9. The one difference is the placement of the aforementioned double bond. With delta 8, it’s located on the eighth carbon in the chain. While this subtle difference in chemical structure may seem hardly significant, it creates notable differences in the two compounds’ effects.
Does Delta 8 THC Get You High
All forms of THC are intoxicating—including delta 8 THC. However, the high from delta 8 isn’t identical to the traditional delta 9 THC you may already be used to.
Some delta 8 users describe the cannabinoid as the more mellow form of THC. Consumers report that much of the cerebral effects of traditional THC are markedly diminished with delta 8. The brain fog, the couch-lock, the memory loss, and the paranoia that sometimes comes with a marijuana high don’t seem to be present with delta 8. In fact, some have even described feelings of increased focus when under the influence of delta 8. Typically, one could expect feelings of mild euphoria and light body sensations while using delta 8 THC.
Keep in mind that cannabinoids affect everybody differently. While the bulk of anecdotal evidence points to delta 8 highs being less intense than conventional delta 9 THC, the experience will vary between each individual.
Is Delta 8 Legal?
The 2018 Farm Bill federally legalized hemp, which it defined as cannabis plants containing less than 0.3% delta 9 THC per dry weight. Since delta 8 THC can be derived from hemp, many have interpreted this piece of legislation to mean that delta 8 products are now federally legal as well.
However, ultimately each state sets its own laws governing cannabis products—including delta 8. So far, states that have outright banned delta 8 include: Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Idaho, Iowa, Mississippi, Montana, Rhode Island, and Utah. This list is subject to change as legislators continue to debate whether delta 8 should be considered a controlled substance.
Different Types Of Delta 8 Products
Cannabis plants only naturally produce very small amounts of delta 8 THC. As a result, the compound primarily exists in extract form. Once delta 8 has been extracted, however, it can be used in a number of different products.
- Delta 8 flower: hemp plants don’t typically have high levels of delta 8, though CBD hemp flower with trace amounts of delta 8 may be marketed as delta 8 flower. Alternatively, some cultivators infuse hemp flower with delta 8 extracts in order to increase the potency.
- Delta 8 gummies: edibles are by far one of the most popular forms of delta 8. The extract can be infused into everything from beverages to hard candies, though chewy gummies appear to be the most common on the market. While these tasty confections might be sweet to the tongue, cannabinoids have lower bioavailability when consumed orally, meaning that much of the delta 8 in the gummies isn’t able to be used by the body and ends up going to waste.
- Delta 8 tincture: delta 8 extracts can be combined with a cutting agent to create a tincture. You may see delta 8 tinctures being sold as delta 8 oil. Typically these products are taken sublingually, which slightly increases the bioavailability.
- Delta 8 vape cartridges: delta 8 vape carts are also extremely popular. These cartridges screw onto any typical 510 threaded vape battery allowing users to convert the delta 8 extract into an aerosol and inhale the vapor. Inhalation by far offers the best bioavailability of any other method.
- Delta 8 stem: E1011 Labs is releasing a new delta 8 Stem. Like with our other Stems, the delta 8 Stem is filled with eco-friendly hemp flower and is designed for use with the Elon device. Now you can experience a more natural delta 8 product while still getting the best bioavailability possible!